Good question, I am glad you asked!
Time and again the following actions have secured an apprenticeship for my students:
- Work Experience: increases your net-works, do as much as you can.
- When at work experience TALK to your boss about your career ambitions. Ask if he/she is thinking of putting on an apprentice!
- Keep an eye on websites like the apprenticeship factory they update their listings each week — pop a reminder in your phone to check the website/s regularly
- Make sure your resume is up to date—you never know when an opportunity will crop up.
- Drop your resume into the places like the ones found at this link.