In a Nutshell…
What would your answer be to the following two curly questions?
- Do I want my resume on TOP of the pile (of resumes) that is sitting on the employer’s desk?
- Do I want to be one of the top 4 or 5 invited in for an interview?
If you do, then the following facts are useful to get your head around. This is what you need to know about YOUR resume…
It breaths, almost….
Your resume is a living document… this doesn’t mean that it breaths in and out (that would be scary)… it just means that it:
- should tell a story about yourself (who you are, and what you have done)
- it mutates as you tuck new skills and abilities under your belt… making your story grow..
Imagine: Your Year 12 resume will (or should) look #tots different to your Year 10 resume.
Do It Once… then store & tweak…
Don’t think for an instant that you have to re-type your resume each time you go for a job.
Dah, #hellz-no, just store it in a safe place, and re-jig it as you need to!
- Tweak your resume for each job you apply for, no two jobs are the same, so your resume should adapt itself. (Well, you need to adapt it, because magical resumes don’t exist!).
- Walk in their shoes… When you are adapting your resume, put yourself in their shoes… what are they looking for?
- Focus on the important stuff… If you are going for a hospitality position, don’t waffle on about childcare! If you are going for an engineering position, don’t write a novel about plumbing! Focus on the job at hand.
- Resumes can be quite stylish, particularly if you can tame that tricky word processing software… and I provide my three top secrets on creating amazingly stylish resumes right here.
Time is the essence…
- There is no-way-in-the-world I want my students to launch their resume onto the world unless it is 100% groovy! They roll their eyes at me when I make them re-submit their resume for the 4th or 5th time (even though I promise I will only make them do it 3 times!).
- I KNOW that it takes at least 2 to 3 hours (or more) to put together a fab resume!
This sounds #totals painful, but it is an investment worth making if you want your resume to be like... a monster-truck amongst the Tonkers!
More haste, less speed…
- Yeah, I know that you are in a hurry to get your resume out there but puleeeeese nothing turns an employer off more than spelling or grammatical errors. You want to be ‘in’ not ‘bin’!
- Sweet-talk an English genius into PROOF-READING your work for you – in-fact two geniuses are better than one (or is that geni-i?). #What-evs!
Hugs to Social Media….
- Employers are seriously liking-a-lot Facebook and other Social Media to help them weed out the right kinda workers.
- Yep, they stalk!
- You should ask yourself this question: “Do my social media deposits stink – or make me cha-ching?”
Seriously... you gotta' watch those #stupidoid posts from now on - after-all adulthood is only a few steps away!