…. & Work Experience
Sometimes securing work experience with a local media company can be like, boiled-lolly-HARD, but don’t let this stop you. There a many ways to gain experience. Try these ideas:
- Invite a journalist to speak in class
- Ask them to read some of your work.
- First! Ask your English teacher to proof your work
- Keep a portfolio, blog, wiki with writing pieces.
- Follow a journalist on twitter / social media
- Write articles for your school (newsletter or magazine) – this is a great way to have YOUR work published!
- Send some of your work to your local newspaper.
- Ask everybody you know if they have a journalist friend or acquaintance, and then get in touch
- Ask for an information interview.
An information interview (plying them with career-related questions) can be used for a number of purposes from finding out more about a career (dah!), securing work experience or building your career networks.
To get some basic factoids about Journalism, myfuture (opens in new window) provides a great snapshot – as well as a video to watch and links to follow.