Disability Info


“A persons ability to do dis”

Do you have a disability and want to go to University or TAFE?

Let’s do dis then!

Disability – Tertiary Plans

EVERY uni/tafe has a person or a ‘unit’ dedicated to assist people with disabilities.

  • You may know where you want to go, and what you want to do, so your job is easy. Ring the institution and ask to be put through to the person who takes care of Disability/Equity/Equality and talk to them about your plans. You will find some handy phone numbers and web sites here.
  • You may NOT know where or what degree you want to study… first talk to your careers advisor, then call a couple of Universities and/or TAFEs and discuss what interests you and what courses/degrees they may have which would fit with your interests.


Scholarships are often viewed as being something for the highest academic achievers. However, there are scholarships available which are implemented for the purpose of achieving better Access and Equity. Universities in Victoria offer a range of these scholarships for students. The VTAC web site highlights Access and Equity Scholarships and Institutional Merit Scholarships. View the information at: www.vtac.edu.au/scholarships

For a list of scholarships you can also refer to the Broaden Your Horizons web site for information on scholarships offered through TAFE, University and Other sources.

 VTAC Special Entry Access Schemes

Students with disabilities may apply for Special Entry Access Scheme ( SEAS) via VTAC when applying for University and TAFE. Students should discuss the process with their careers practitioner as additional documentation is required.

Disability Employment Services (DESs)

Disability Employment Services (DESs) provides specialist help for people with disability, injury or health condition who require support to find and maintain sustainable employment. The two programs within DES are:

    • Provides help to people with disability, injury or health condition that require the assistance of a disability employment service and are not expected to need long-term or regular support in the workplace
    • Assists people with a permanent disability who are likely to need regular long-term ongoing support in order to retain their job.

The assistance DES provides to job seekers includes:

  • preparing for work, including training in specific job skills
  • job search support, such as resume development, interview skills training and help to look for suitable jobs
  • support when initially placed into a job, including on the job training and co-worker and employer supports
  • ongoing support in a job
  • purchase of vocational training and other employment related assistance
  • access to help with workplace modifications, support services and Auslan interpreting in the workplace.

For those with medical conditions or barriers that prevent them from finding or keeping a job, they may be referred for an Employment Services Assessment.

This assessment will help identify what services you may need to find a job. Centrelink or your provider can provide further information about Employment Services Assessments.

Disability Employment Services providers can also help an employer to access a range of other services such as:

DES providers can be found by searching at http://jobsearch.gov.au/providers/


The National Disability Coordinator Officer (NCDO) website has amazing information and resources to help you to do dis!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *