The following helpful suggestions are from Deakin’s legendary Parents’ Guide to Tertiary Study
- Have conversations with your child about their interests, skills and strengths. These conversations can start early in secondary school.
- Listen to what your child has to say – be patient and try to avoid correcting them.
- Ask questions that help your child clarify their interests and abilities.
- Make suggestions and offer advice, but don’t push them into anything.
- Help connect your child to people working in jobs they are interested in.
- Encourage your child to participate in workplace learning experiences.
- Attend careers events, university experiences and open days with your child. This can be helpful prior to starting VCE.