Dis-ability And Uni or TAFE

Disability = "A persons ability to do dis

If you have a dis-ability and want to go to University or TAFE, here is what you need to know.

You need to know…

There are Disability Liaison Officers (DLOs) at every TAFE and university. Their role is to support you throughout your tertiary quest. The assistance they can give you will depend on your dis-ability and specific needs.

Here are some things they can help you with:

  • Enrolment and campus orientation
  • Academic Support Workers (for example, note takers, interpreters, readers)
  • Adaptive technology (for example, voice activated software)
  • Alternative format course materials (for example, Braille, electronic)
  • Liaison with lecturers/teachers
  • Alternative arrangements for assessment (for example, additional time, scribe, reader)
  • Physical access to facilities
  • Referral to other support services (for example, counselling, health, housing, financial aid, learning skills unit)

Now you should….

bigbatIf you have a dis-ability and are thinking about studying at a TAFE or university, you should stop ‘thinking‘ and start ‘doing‘! Your first task is to contact the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU) at your preferred Uni/TAFE to find out how they might be able to help you.

Do you HAVE to reveal your dis-ability…?

  • You can share your abilities, or not, the choice is yours. But,
  • If you want to tap into resources that are available to assist your studies, then you need to carefully consider your answer to this question.
  • All applicants are treated in confidence and with respect – you can make general enquiries about disclosure from the relevant people at the institution before making up your mind about divulgence.

rememberAfter Enrolment…. Don’t forget….

After acceptance into a TAFE or university course, you should contact the DLO (Disability Liaison Officer) again to let them know that you will be studying with them. Keep them in the loop.

Finding the right people to speak to…

I found the simplest way of finding the person you need to speak to is:

  • ONLINE: Explore the comprehensive list (below). Or, when you open the main page for the uni/TAFE you want to go to, find the search feature (sometimes this can be a challenge) and type in ‘Disability Support‘. This tactic usually brings up the relevant page. Make yourself familiar with the details on this page (or pages).
  • CALL: Call the uni/TAFE you want to go to and ask for the Disability Support person. Before you pick up the phone. write a list of questions or concerns. What do you want to know? Can you make an appointment to seem them?

Comprehensive List…

ADCETFor a comprehensive (web) listing of Disability Contacts at TAFE and University visit the Australian Disability Clearinghouse on the Education and Training (ADCET) website:

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *